The MICS team participated in a scientific symposium hosted by the Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF) Global Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health at the Child Mind Institute in New York.
This event was a rallying call for global collaboration in tackling mental health issues among young people, highlighting the need for comparable data on adolescent mental health worldwide. MICS discussed UNICEF's initiative to bridge mental health data gaps through a new household survey module. This module, a product of UNICEF's MMAPP (Measuring Mental Health for Adolescents and Young People at the Population Level) initiative, estimates the prevalence of anxiety and depression, the most common mental health disorders among youth aged 15-24. Launched in March 2023, the module is now being incorporated in MICS7 surveys.
The symposium was held on 26 October 2023 at the SNF Library in New York City. Juju Chang, the co-anchor of ABC's Nightline, hosted the event. The panel featured speakers from a wide range of programmatic, research and policy perspectives, including:
- Dévora Kestel, MSc, Director of Mental Health and Substance Use, World Health Organization
- Sarah Kline, MA, CEO and Co-Founder, United for Global Mental Health
- Tom Osborn, Co-Founder and CEO, Shamiri Institute
- Eva Quintana, Survey Methodologist with Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys, UNICEF
- Shirley Reynolds, PhD, Director of Psychosocial Interventions, SNF Global Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health at the Child Mind Institute
- Giovanni Salum, MD, PhD, Program Co-Director, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Initiative, SNF Global Center for Child and Adolescent Mental Health at the Child Mind Institute
- Shekhar Saxena, MD, Professor of Global Mental Health Practice, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Watch the symposium recording:
For more details, visit the SNF Global Health Initiative.